Mayraberd Askeran Fortress (built in 1751) is situated in the town of Askeran, 14 km East from Stepanakert, the capital of Nagorno-Karabakh. It is located on the banks of the Qarqar River and was built by the Karabakh khanate ruler Panah Ali Khan and consists of two sections. The left-bank section features a double line of stone walls - 2m thick and 9m tall. The walls of this vanguard fort of Karkar valley stretch over 1.5km and during the Nagorno-Karabakh War, the fortress served as the military headquarters for Nagorno-Karabakh Armenians fighting against Azerbaijan. Askeran, Nagorno-Karabakh, 19 September 2008.